Internship 2016-2017 Campus Internship – Research and Development
The Dow Chemical Company has opportunities for summer undergraduate intern scientists within research and development. Opportunities exist across the R&D function and are aligned with various organizations and business units in a variety of locations including Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Delaware and others. Interns will work with project teams to solve chemical- and material-related problems through both fundamental and applied research. The types of projects span from product research to process research to application development.
The specific opportunities including project type, geography and timing are variable. Please apply to this job posting if you are interested in pursuing an undergraduate intern opportunity within research and development at The Dow Chemical Company. We will contact you when an opportunity that matches your background and areas of interest becomes available.
The purpose of the position is to help support one or two projects in R&D. The intern will partner with research scientists to drive these projects to completion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Wear proper personal protective equipment (e.g. lab coat, gloves, safety glasses)
- Attend and participate in group and personal safety programs
- Provide technical support for multidisciplinary teams for both new product and capability development
- Perform routine laboratory operations (e.g. prepare samples, standards, solutions)
- Operate analytical instrumentation (e.g. gas and liquid chromatographs)
- Generating, analyzing and summarizing data and documenting results in laboratory notebooks and research reports. Generating and maintaining documentation for the safe and efficient operation of equipment.
- Utilize Excel and related software for data manipulation
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS:
- Must accept safety as the top priority
- Must have basic laboratory skills
- Must be able to follow directions and ask questions
- Computer skills: Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must be able to work well with others
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at one time
- Highly motivated and results-driven individual with excellent interpersonal skills
At times this person may need to lift more than 5 lbs but no more than 15 lbs.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the science field
- Students must have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.700 or higher on a 4.000 scale.
- Experience and capability in handling chemicals in a laboratory environment is beneficial.
- Successful completion of chemistry, biology or math (algebra) courses is desirable.
- Training will be provided for this position
A minimum requirement for a US-based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent basis.
Reliable attendance is an expectation of every Dow employee, therefore reliable transportation is required.
Thank you for your interest in employment with The Dow Chemical Company!
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world’s most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow’s integrated, market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2015, Dow had annual sales of nearly $49 billion and employed approximately 49,500 people worldwide. The Company’s more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 179 sites in 35 countries across the globe. On June 1, 2016, Dow became the 100 percent owner of Dow Corning Corporation’s silicones business, a global company with sales of greater than $4.5 billion in 2015, 25 manufacturing sites in 9 countries and approximately 10,000 employees worldwide. References to “Dow” or the “Company” mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us. You may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
How to Apply
Visit the company website to find current openings and to apply.