REU Clean Energy Bridge to Research Summer REU
Clean Energy Bridge to Research (CEBR) is a summer research program from the Clean Energy Institute (CEI) at the University of Washington (UW). The program is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF 1559787) and UW’s Undergraduate Research Program partners with CEI to run the program. CEBR supports a select group of undergraduates and community college teachers to participate in authentic research in solar, energy storage, and grid technologies under the mentorship of UW’s world-class faculty and grad students.
A. Full Research Session: June 18-August 17, 2018
For students who have completed two years of college or community college. This is a nine-week immersive research project in a single lab leading to an abstract and poster This session provides a stipend of $4,000, on-campus housing, $500 for food, and a $500 travel allowance.
B. Exploratory Session: June 18-July 18, 2018
For students who have completed one year of college or community college. This is a four-week early research experience. Students will receive training, then complete a mini research project under the guidance of a graduate student and create an educational product related to their work. Students may apply for the Full Research Session the following year. This session provides a stipend of $2,000.
- Encourage students to pursue STEM careers.
- Provide exposure to research at a hands-on level.
- Improve student knowledge about the nature of research including ambiguity, evolving understanding, and the open-ended nature of research.
- Develop student inquiry skills including formulating research questions, designing experiments, analyzing data, communicating results, and envisioning future steps.
- Impart relevant, state-of-the-art content in photovoltaics, energy storage and smart grids in the domains of physics, chemistry, materials science, and electrical engineering.
How to Apply
Applications open Jan 1 for summer of 2018- Close February 16
Fill in online application at http://cei.washington.edu/cebr
You will be asked for A CV, personal statement and two references